The 8Square is a 8×8 LED square with 64 RGB LEDs, in a nice wood frame. This is a fully assembled version of the 8Square USB Kit.
The 8Square hardware features:
- 64 three color channel RGB LEDs with 4096 colors!
- Runs on PIC18F4620 microcontroller, which has 64K ROM, 3.8K RAM, and runs at 32MHZ (8 MIPS). We have completely filled it!
- Simple usage – plug it in to the wall and it goes!
- Multiple buttons for user selectable control!
- Hackable – program your own square to do what you want (difficult though!).
The 8Square software features:
- 60+ distinct visualizations.
- 10+ transition effects.
- Variable speed randomly smoothed along random paths.
- Dynamic palette morphing for smooth color effects.
- Arbitrary symmetry and affine transform mappings performed dynamically.
- User settable visualization speed, frequency, and presence.
- Ability to playback animations from a computer, with an API and sample code to do so over USB.
- Color, timing, symmetry, and transition randomization for creating unique visualizations on the fly.
- 512-bit random cycle seed saved between power-ups almost guarantees never repeating visualization cycle.
- Created with 20,000 lines of C code, and several hundred of assembler.
- Three 8-bit channels of color computed internally, then dithered down to 4096 colors.
- Displays over 6500 image updates a second to modulate the colors.
- Uses a numerous hand crafted sprites and animations.